Wednesday, August 28, 2024

Travel travails

 

This happened in the winter of 2022. S and I were traveling to Portugal and the setting here is the transit airport, Istanbul.



I can't quite believe what just happened. I lost my boarding pass at Istanbul airport. I had it in my passport the whole time and then at one point It wasn't there anymore. Just as we were at the counter of the Airport lounge, I moved to get it out of the passport and it wasn't there. Just my hand clutching a solitary passport. Won't be an exaggeration to say S got livid in his, now quiet way.


I turned my handbag inside out alongwith my pockets and scanned the area but nothing in sight.  S, still at the counter, looked at me in wonder, not the good kind.  Then he muttered, " I don't know what to do, go see what to do about this situation now!"

We had disembarked and crossed security and we had been walking for an hour at this point, actually I couldn't think straight as to figure out next steps. I knew we had to go to Turkish airline help desk but like was I doing this alone, while he used his 'Not Lost' boarding pass to relax in the lounge?!! No 'Through thick and thin" anymore?! That's it!


 Well, he did join me as I started walking and we walked to the nearest information desk, the guy there directed  us to the end of the corridor  and then down one floor to another help desk and they should be able to sort us out, ( sort me out, S is the sorted one.)We went and there was a huge queue of angry passengers there - missed connections! 

To cut long story short  (1.5 hours of tensed, silent, guilt ridden queuing) I was handed a duplicate boarding pass. My boarding card also had luggage tags, so  those were printed out as well and I heaved a sigh of relief. And let me just say the walk back to the lounge was LONG. I felt so guilty and silly, it felt like a new low for a 50 year old me. To be fair I was also chiding myslef for laughing at S and his pedantic ways.


Can you imagine I was telling him off while we were looking for the airport lounge because

he refused to ask for directions and trusted Google Maps which had us move around in loops. I was this short of telling him that age had caught up with him and he was refusing to think straight and being bull headed. Thank Goodness I had held my tongue.  


So yes, we have embarked on another of our fun holidays. As you can see many adventures await us.


Bring it on Porto! Can't wait!

1 comment:

Sumandebray said...

all well that ends well..Enjoy the vacation....